This morning Laura came home from her family holiday in Canada! Yay (: It was very exciting, even though she was only gone for a few weeks, but we definitely missed her a lot.
We paid a visit to Spotlight and Lincraft for invitation inspiration for her 21st. These little pie dishes in the sweetest, pale blue were on sale for $4 so we made these mini chicken pot pies in them.
Mini Chicken Pot Pies
Makes 4 little pies
- 2 sheets frozen puff pastry, thawed
- 1 egg white, beaten
- 250g chicken thighs or breast, sliced thinly
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 2 cloves garlic, diced, or 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 cup leek, sliced thinly
- 1 carrot, diced
- 1/2 cup pumpkin, diced
- 1/4 cup frozen peas
- 1/3 cup mushrooms, sliced
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 80g butter
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1/4 cup chicken or vegetable stock
- 1/4 cup milk, heated
- 1 bay leaf
1. Preheat oven to 180 degrees, or 160 degrees fan forced.
2. Half fill a steamer pot (a pot with a steaming compartment) with water to boil (or set up your steaming device). Add in all the vegetables.
3. Cut rounds in the pastry that fit your pie dishes, and slightly smaller rounds for the lids. Cut an x or a little hole in the top. Oil/butter the dishes and fill with pastry. Prick bottom layer with a fork.
4. Season the chicken with the chili, garlic, salt and pepper. Fry the chicken in oil til golden brown. Set aside.
5. In a separate saucepan, melt the butter. Add in the flour and stir with a wooden spoon/spatula. Slowly add in the milk; the mixture will be quite thick. Add in the stock to thin it out until it is not too thick and not too watery. You don't have to use all the stock. Add in the bay leaf and leave to simmer gently.
6. When the vegetables are done, toss to combine then fill the pies with them, adding the chicken. Pour the gravy/white sauce/ liquid in and then put on the lids. Press with a fork to seal. Brush with egg white and bake for 15-20 minutes or until the pastry is golden brown.
Add a comment »