Happy Birthday Justice Kirby! I made this cake for you!
Justice Michael Kirby is (in my opinion, anyway) a rock star in the legal world, and my all time favorite judge. Yes, I have a favorite judge. This may or may not be due to the fact that when I met him, he cuddled me and told me to "stir shit up". Not even kidding, and it was a very proud moment for me. Anyway, it is his birthday today! He turned 74. And although I would love to bake him a cake, I actually made this in my procrastination from uni work today. But we can always pretend!
It turned out a bit Christmassy! I was originally going to leave it as a plain white glaze, but I thought poppyseeds might be a nice touch. Plus I love them. Plus they were just sitting there. Anyway, the poppyseeds and white icing didn't look very nice in the end by themselves, so I added the raspberries, but it still looked strange, and then I added the lemon zest, and then I decided why not, and put on the mint leaves as well. Feel free to omit the poppyseeds for a plain white icing, or tint it whatever colour you like! Pink would be very cute.
Raspberry and Olive Oil Yoghurt Cake with a Lemon Poppyseed Glaze
Makes a 23cm cake or a large bundt cake
Raspberry Olive Oil Yoghurt Cake
- 1 cup olive oil
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup Greek yoghurt
- 1 1/2 cups self-raising flour*
- 1/2 cup whole wheat flour*
- 1 cup frozen raspberries
- Preheat the oven to 170C. Grease your cake tin, and if you're using a standard tin line with baking paper.
- Beat the olive oil and sugar together.
- Add the eggs one by one, beating well after each addition.
- Add the yoghurt.
- Fold through the flours - be careful not to over beat, it's fine if it's a little lumpy.
- Fold in the berries, and then pour into the prepared cake pan.
- Bake for 1 hour and 15 minutes until a skewer stuck in the middle comes out clean. If the cake is browning too quickly, cover with a piece of foil. Remove and cool before icing.
* I ran out of self-raising flour and only had whole wheat (self raising), so I put that in. It still tasted delicious, but feel free to just use 2 cups of self-raising!
Lemon Poppyseed Glaze
- 1 egg white
- 1/2 cup icing sugar
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tbsp poppyseeds
- Beat egg whites with sugar until stiff peaks form. Add in the lemon juice and the poppyseeds.
- Pour over the cake and leave until set.
Serve and enjoy! Pretend it's healthy if you like, with its yoghurti-ness! It isn't, really, but I've never been one for pretending treats are healthy - that's why they're treats! (: And Happy Birthday, Kirby J!
xx gee18 Comments »